Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This possibly does not really belong here. But since most of you guys are artists or graphic-oriented people, you might have some experience here:

I just bought myself a 18" LCD-screen, so I could finally get a little distance between my eyes and the surface of the monitor.

I just installed it and anything looks really good 'n bright. I am just wondering if there might be any limitations compared to a regular CRT monitor when it comes to colors and especially photo-retouching.

The colors now seem brighter to me as well as the whole screen seems to have more contrast. This is not an adjustment thing, it just IS more contrasted then my former CRT.

Do you think one can decently manipulate pictures (for screen/web-use) on such a gadget ??

Thanks
    Wolfgang

This possibly does not really belong here. But since most of you guys are artists or graphic-oriented people, you might have some experience here:

I just bought myself a 18" LCD-screen, so I could finally get a little distance between my eyes and the surface of the monitor.

I just installed it and anything looks really good 'n bright. I am just wondering if there might be any limitations compared to a regular CRT monitor when it comes to colors and especially photo-retouching.

The colors now seem brighter to me as well as the whole screen seems to have more contrast. This is not an adjustment thing, it just IS more contrasted then my former CRT.

Do you think one can decently manipulate pictures (for screen/web-use) on such a gadget ??

Thanks
    Wolfgang

Hi Wolfie,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you think one can decently manipulate pictures (for screen/web-use) on such a gadget ?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have gone to the expense of buying an 18" flatscreen, you obviously either have far too much money (and should feel compelled to share some of it with me) or you have done your homework and already know the answer! You're just bragging! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

LCD screens are brighter but with more contrast than CRTs (i.e. less colour loss). They are sharp and clear and, of course, allow you to reclaim acres of formerly lost desk space. The obvious ones to go for are Philips, Sony, etc., the CRT brands most pros are using already. But beware, there are also unbranded LCD models on the market which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. I was asked to review a 15" one which was more grainy than the floor of my chicken run, but at the low price my client bought it anyway - since his most-used apps are Outlook Express and Word, I guess this didn't make much difference to him (bloody LUDDITE)!

IMHO anyway...

--
    Big Frank was
    http://www.wognum.org/files/madewithxarax.gif
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Frank,

rest assured, that I don't have too much money, at least not now that I bought this baby.

Fact is, I did sit too close to the screen (CRT) and I had to change this. Since I did not want to break through the wall just to make place for the CRTube's neck ... LCD seemed to be the better choice.

I had a demo unit (15") yesterday and I really was impressed by the brightness and clarity.
    When they told me, they had the same in 18" too (on stock as well) I had a look at it and then took it home right away ;-))

The brand is "Videoseven" and I was told it would be good. 'Least it really looks good to me.

When I finished playing around with the new resolution (and the lots of free space in front of me), I started Photoshop (sorry) with some photographs I had to edit last week. They seemed somewhat different to me, the originals somehow looked 'better' than on the CRT.

That was when I started wondering if there might be reasons to not do picture-editing on an LCD.

I am not working for print production, so absolute color calibration is not an issue. But people with CRT's should see the pictures the same way I do ...

Wolfgang

P.S.: Just in case I should have too much money in the future, could you give me your account number ??

I recently replaced every display in my company with Apple Studio displays connected to PC compatibles through interface cards with Digital Video Interface (DVI).
    I fell in love with them at first "sight".

Since there is no digital to analogue and vice-versa conversion; quality of LCD with DVI is really good, but there is a drawback.

I suppose that some images might look darker on a CRT display, it happened to the brown locomotive I sent in the Xara gallery and Big Frank found it too dark, while it looks pretty good on LCD.
    This is an image you can use as a test.

Ciao
    Luciano

One of the great advantages of liquid crystals is that they are insensible to magnetic interference.

One of the main drawbacks is that they are almost impossible to repair. A friend of mine had one, and when it was a few weeks out of guarantee, a "line" fell out (I use his words), and there was no way to repair it.

But, as there are far more LCD monitors that work fine, you shouldn't worry too much. Enjoy it.

I bought some LCD couple of years ago for 2 reasons. Less desk space used , no flickering and less electromagnetic emission which causes something IMO not that obvious.

The electromagnetic emissions on a normal monitor will create a magnetic field between you and the screen which makes your eyes attract stuff like dust like the screen itself dust. This and the flickering on normal monitors hurt eyes pretty bad.

After only a few weeks with the LCD my eyes did not look hurt anymore and I now dont wear glasses.

There is a big drawback though which doesnt hurt me but probably you. Although the colors look better than on CRT screens, they are certainly NOT correct and there are no ICM profiles for any LCD as far as I know. I saw that when creating my homepage. On each of the LCD, the homepage colors look pretty different [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img](

For a programmer like me that is not a problem as I deal mostly with text and only with graphics when I am forced to do something on my homepage(shiver). To you this might be something to consider.

juergen