Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I frequently have this problem. I create an object and choose a bitmap fill and often times it is rotated from the original and at a different dpi from the original.

I DO NOT have "apply the last attribute used" enabled.

It will happen when opening Xara and a new document on the first object filled when the default fill is "flat fill"

Why does this happen? It is extremely hard to get the bitmap lined up right especially if it is very directional even when holding down the CTRL key.

Judi

My Stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fillsamp.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	14428  

I frequently have this problem. I create an object and choose a bitmap fill and often times it is rotated from the original and at a different dpi from the original.

I DO NOT have "apply the last attribute used" enabled.

It will happen when opening Xara and a new document on the first object filled when the default fill is "flat fill"

Why does this happen? It is extremely hard to get the bitmap lined up right especially if it is very directional even when holding down the CTRL key.

Judi

My Stuff

From the rotation angle and resulting DPI, it looks like it may be a sine function. Or cosine, I am not sure since the value for 45 degrees is .707 for both. Just a guess, though. If you wanted 96 DPI as the result, I would guess 74 DPI to start. The dpi ratio is consistant with the trig function. I would say if you had gotten 135 DPI, you would be at 45 Degrees. No clue why? Rich

Judy,

As soon as I saw your post I imported a bitmap into XaraX, tiled it seamlessly, and created a bitmap copy of part of it. When I drew a large rectangle with the bitmap copy as fill, here's what I got. Whether I tried a solid fill, a filled circle, or whatever, only a diamond shape in the centre contained the fill.

BUT when I opened a new document, and tried to repeat it, the fills worked perfectly. So I can't describe exactly how I did it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Jessica

Name:	Partial_fill.gif 
Views:	285 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	6577  

Jessica I haven't see that happen before. I see you have repeat for the method. Even if you had single tile for the method it shouldn't be a diamond shape. ??

Rich, That's way over my mathmatically challenged brain.

Judi

My Stuff

Of course it could have been my video drivers.

But this is strange. Rich, you commented on the angle of the rotation, and Judi, when I superimpose my image over yours the angles are similar, around 39.5° for what it's worth.

Jessica

overlapping the alien images- the attachment I forgot.

Name:	overlap.gif 
Views:	220 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	3626  

I caculated what the angle would have to be for 131 DPI and got 41.5 degrees. If this was related to the change some way. It just looked like the value was the same as that of the trig function. I would be curious if going past 45 degrees would tend to lower the DPI back to 96 DPI. Rich

A suggestion which I have *not* tried but it may work for you:

Open a new drawing.
    Creat any shape with a bitmap fill.
    Adjust the fill handles to be vertical and horizontal, or, as desired.
    Save it as the default template.
    Close Xara, and open again.
    delete the shape altogether.
    Re-save as the default template.

This would overwrite Xara's (possibly corrupt) default template with a new one.

Bayan