Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just a doodle I had kick'n around on my drive...boxed out in Wings3d, wire done in C4D, and rendered in Carrara Studio 2

Still needs a whole bunch of stuff added for sure.... I really need to study some newer style car lights to throw in this concept racer... some seats, etc etc... yea right... lol

The Virtual Mirror in Wings3d is awesome, and tools like bevel verts really made the lugnuts easy to create... the list goes on

So... while Wings3d won't allow one to create poly by poly method of modeling, it really does have a lot of cool tools which truly rock for boxing stuff out... this related to another recent discussion regarding the subject of modeling cars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conceptracer.gif 
Views:	477 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	19008  

just a doodle I had kick'n around on my drive...boxed out in Wings3d, wire done in C4D, and rendered in Carrara Studio 2

Still needs a whole bunch of stuff added for sure.... I really need to study some newer style car lights to throw in this concept racer... some seats, etc etc... yea right... lol

The Virtual Mirror in Wings3d is awesome, and tools like bevel verts really made the lugnuts easy to create... the list goes on

So... while Wings3d won't allow one to create poly by poly method of modeling, it really does have a lot of cool tools which truly rock for boxing stuff out... this related to another recent discussion regarding the subject of modeling cars

and... just in case there is anybody who wishes to better understand just how quick and easy the workflow in Wings3d can be using the Virtual Mirror in conjunction with a few custom hotkey assignments.... check this out....

looks like a lot, but actualy... I select one edge, hit L,k,backspace, spacebar... one key after another, very quick like... then select center ngon, hit m... whoila, virtual mirror... and when I am finished I hit n and all is one...

and in this example we started with a whole model... for just starting with a cube... simply select any face, and go right to step 7, hit m ..... hehe, doesn't get much easier than this folks....

I mean when ya get right down to it, this VM is one great tool, no monkeying around moving this or that this way or that way as is the case found with VM's in other apps... nope, very simple, very very fast workflow, and couple this with the rest of the hotkey assignments that I posted here.... , and you are off to the boxmodeling races...

Name:	wings3dvm.gif 
Views:	454 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	1220  

Very cool stuff your doing Gidgit. Your car model is pretty slick, I like it.

Hi Gidgit.

Your car looks very nice .

I've found the solution to my earlier question "edge slide" this is how it's done:

1) Draw a cube
    2) Select the edges of a face
    3) Press shift+L
    4) Evoque menu with RMB and select bump command
    5) Now we've created a new edgeloop
    6) Instead of confirming the command (bump) just press + or - to position the new edge loop.
    7) do the same for others edges to get the desired result.

Now on smoothing this will produce nice chanfered edges wich I think it's very usefull to take the models to other programs.

Another question: On a tipical car project and working the entire car body in one piece how can you open the wheels holes in the final without messing to much with the car body?

And another: Wich version of Wings to use? This last one 0.98 16b freezes in my computer when applying virtual mirror

Emanuel Brito

Hi Gidgit,

Great looking car! Wings3D is a lot easier to use than ZB. Have you imported a Wings .obj into ZB to see how well it works?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sokili,

Wings 3d objects exported as .obj work very well in ZBrush and they work very well in Silo too.

kindly,
    ivan

Thanks Mike... It's a pretty decent example of just how handy ngons can be in an app, and how an app capable of supporting ngons could/should work with em...

Emel... haha, I never even thought of "bump"... but you still have to reposition them loops... I lost you regarding the selection of all the face edges, as when you hit shift/l it simply changes the selection back to the face, which is what I originaly did to select the edges... select face and hit "e"... coverted the selection from f to e, then upon shift/l I am right back to where I started... hehe musical faces

I think you will find the method I suggested as to being the most accurate for making those chanfers exactly the same size...in the manner of your example you posted that is...

For just plain chamfered edges, the suggestion made by Mike... just hit an edge, and ctrl/a, or if in face mode just ctrl/a to select all then hit e... and then do a bevel.... is the quickest way to chamfer out something... though you do get those corner tri"s eh... so you right click while all you edges are still selected, choose hardness>hard, hit f to convert to face mode, and hit "s" to smooth... notice becuase all the perimeter edges were defined hard, that the cube remains in shape, just divided into a couple of more segments is all, and more importantly, the chamfer corner tri's are now quads...

Name:	chamferred_cube.gif 
Views:	387 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	1446  

Hi Bill... thanks ... yes, I have tried the import .obj into ZB a few times lol... still need to wrap my feeble brain around some of the finer nuances of the whole procedure is all... and yes, Wings3d is pretty durn easy to model with... I look forward to more of some ZBrush worx from you guys... maybe I can pick up a few tips from yas

Emel... the wheel wells were factored in during the very earliest stages of boxing this car out...

once you have em as shown here, you can always select the inside well edges cut and connect and extrude to hollow things out more etc...

btw, I am using version .98.22

Name:	wheelwells.gif 
Views:	413 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	14734