Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Picture

I am really wondering if I should post this. It is sometimes hard to know what will upset some people.
    I have had the experts at the Cove pooring over this and they are starting to run out of corrections so I must be getting close to having it correct. sorry about the size. The final is intended to be 41" long so a lot of detail is lost if I make it too small. If it is ofensive I will try to make a smaller version.
    John D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USS_Massachusetts,_War_Colors,_1944.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	2930  

I am really wondering if I should post this. It is sometimes hard to know what will upset some people.
    I have had the experts at the Cove pooring over this and they are starting to run out of corrections so I must be getting close to having it correct. sorry about the size. The final is intended to be 41" long so a lot of detail is lost if I make it too small. If it is ofensive I will try to make a smaller version.
    John D

Hello John,

This is quite an excellent drawing. I'm sure glad that I have my monitor set for 4496x3072 ;-)

I don't think posting this at 600 pixels would have done justice to this drawing. Congratulations on a beautiful piece of work.

Regards, Joel

Anyway, Thumbs up! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

John, the detail is quite stunning and I think the size is appropriate for the subject.

Will this be on display in a museum? You should be very proud of the work.

Mickie

... size would not do it justice!

You must have the patience of an angel, John.

Your image makes me want to run out and buy one of those "toy model building kits" ?!.

I think your work is fantastic!

Risto

diri@videotron.ca

Mickie,
    Thanks, The plan is to sell them as posters. Not shure when we will get to it though. I am used to the pace in industry. Museums tend to run in slow-mo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I have another of the Joseph P Kennedy, a Gearing Class WWII destroyer that is at the Cove. (And was one of the starts in the movie "13 Days")
    This kind of drawing is a lot like building a model. I am fortunate to have a lot of the original plans, and I take photos of details that are not clear in the old drawings. I just completed six panels that are just now being printed that will be placed by the 40MM anti-aircraft guns explaning how they worked. These will be the first of my work to be put up. Anyway I love diging into how the old technologies worked and doing the drawing is fun.
    John D
    John D

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Not by the quality of your graphic John, but it's size. There is no way in hell I can see even 1/4 of it at a time of your drawing on my 1024 x 768 display. Therefore it has no value to me for viewing. I am certainly glad that so many of you rich people must have 24" ++ monitors but you must realize that you are the minority. I really don't think reducing the dimensions would hurt anything as far as I can see there isn't really that much real detail that necessitates that size.

Hey, hasn't anyone even read the Please keep the file dimensions to the maximum width of 600 pix. in the Xara forum.

Sorry for the gripe, but I absolutely can have no opinion on a graphic I cannot view in it's entirety without scrolling.

Regards without malice,
    Judi

Absolutely fantastic! Normally I would agree with Judi re the image size but I think in this case you can justify the exception. It's not a matter of monitor size / resolution, if you posted the file at 600 pix so much of the detail would have been lost. An image of this quality and detail needs to be viewed at this size or too much is lost. (mind you it's a drag scrolling to read the responses to the post) Post a photo of the graphic when it's finally placed in the museum.
    One thing I would personally alter... the bevel on the ships name title...I would make this a mitre.
    Egg

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on October 26, 2001 at 19:34.]
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hang on a sec...

I'm stretching my legs .... ahhhh, grunt grunt.

That's better ...

Nice work here John. I can see how you'd enjoy doing this sort of illustrating. Bet you haven't been to the bar in weeks, eh?

A little constructive critischizm here. I saved your image to disk and had a look.
    I find the text a little tightly packed and a little unstructured. The font is ok, though i'd experiment with it a little more.
    Some of the alignment leaves me confused in terms of "vital stats" of the ship. I've attatched a sample suggestion on how you can emphasise by using bullets or even a tabular format for the info.
    Maybe you can throw in a "Legend" of some sort, I don't know.
    In the end, these aspects should be given equal effort to justify and compliment the wonderful work you you put in on the ship... and help round out good compositing and layout skills. Just a thought.

Regards, Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suggestion.gif 
Views:	503 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	6295