Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Virtual "Holes"

Here is a way to give an object a hole(s) WITHOUT COMBINING shapes or using the shape editor tool.

Simply apply a transparency.

1. Apply a Mix/Simple transparency to an object. Below, I used three different Transparency Shapes.

2. With transparency tool active and an object selected, click on the Transparecy Profile icon in the Info Bar.

3. In the Profile Dialog box, move the BOTTOM TAB to the far LEFT (indicated by the green arrow).

4. To modify the "virtual hole":
    a. To change the "SIZE" OF THE HOLE, move the TOP SLIDER TAB of the profile right or left (indicated by the magenta arrow).

b. REPOSITION THE HOLE relative to the object via the transparency tool. Grab the transpareny's center handle (indicated by the tiny red-squares below) and move with the mouse.

c. Alter the PROPORTIONS of the transpareny "footprint" by grabbing the ends of the transparency's arrowheads (indicated by the tiny cyan-squares below) with transparency tool.

Try the Repeating (aka Tiling) option found in the transparency Info Bar ... now you have a pattern of virtual holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Vertual_Holes_(via_Transparecies).gif 
Views:	401 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	4027  

Here is a way to give an object a hole(s) WITHOUT COMBINING shapes or using the shape editor tool.

Simply apply a transparency.

1. Apply a Mix/Simple transparency to an object. Below, I used three different Transparency Shapes.

2. With transparency tool active and an object selected, click on the Transparecy Profile icon in the Info Bar.

3. In the Profile Dialog box, move the BOTTOM TAB to the far LEFT (indicated by the green arrow).

4. To modify the "virtual hole":
    a. To change the "SIZE" OF THE HOLE, move the TOP SLIDER TAB of the profile right or left (indicated by the magenta arrow).

b. REPOSITION THE HOLE relative to the object via the transparency tool. Grab the transpareny's center handle (indicated by the tiny red-squares below) and move with the mouse.

c. Alter the PROPORTIONS of the transpareny "footprint" by grabbing the ends of the transparency's arrowheads (indicated by the tiny cyan-squares below) with transparency tool.

Try the Repeating (aka Tiling) option found in the transparency Info Bar ... now you have a pattern of virtual holes.

Here's a xara file of the above rectangles to play with.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

John - I'm glad you have such a keen ability to 'discover' new ways of using tools. I can't however think of many practical uses of this one but it is great to add it to the noggin full of xara techniques for future reference. No doubt it will come in handy some day.

Thanks, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross,

It was a "stumble across" rather than a "discover".

"... can't however think of many practical uses ..." . To be honest, I can't either. It came to my attention when I was trying to create a "hi-lite" mask for a PowerPoint presentation which I could quickly alter for a series of progressive disclosures. I send an example in a while.

I hope I post minitut sometimes. Nice technique. Btw. try this with solid filled object having plasma transparency. When you tweak profile of transparency it gives very interesting effect. I would call it blob vanishing...

[This message was edited by Dmagician on October 31, 2001 at 14:53.]

Each of the 3 images below was exported from Xara and then imported into PP. They are exactly the same size so wheN imported they can be placed in the same exact location on each slide. Thus, when you advance from slide to slide, only the "spotlight" changes position.

I suppose you could use the same techinque to make an animated GIF in Xara X which has a "traveling spotlight".

By the way, I reiterate this from previous postings .... THERE ARE NO REALLY GOOD PRESENTATION SOFTWARE PACKAGES AVAILABLE WHICH RENDER WELL, HAVE GOOOD DRAWING TOOLS, AND ARE EASY/LOGICAL TO USE .... Xara X already has the fundamental structure with its animated GIF frames to create slide shows. All that's needed ARE smart (programable) buttons for advancing from slide to slide, triggering fade-ins, etc. I'd would not hesitate to buy a XARA PRESENTATION application (if it were available) for $150.

If you are listening Xara, I have a few other ideas for such an application if you want to drop me a line. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Virtual_Holes_2.gif 
Views:	343 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	7085  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Great idea John. I am really just a novice with Powerpoint but I have some pride in saying that when I have combined my Xara skills with my relatively limited PP experience I have created presentations that have blown away experienced PP users. The success I've had with them really comes from knowing how to put Xara to use effectively within the basic PP conceptual framework.

I'm in full agreement with you that xara could relatively easily create a 'presentation' powerhouse.

I also add I'd still like to see Xara partner with swish! That relationship could tie in well with a presentation-related tool. I note that Oscar (good ol' Oscar) of RealDraw fame is really someone Kate Moir of Xara should sit down with. He seems to really understand the big picture in regards to presentation tools/multimedia/vector tools. As I understand it he developed realdraw to support his work in developing multi-media presentation software. Oscar is one smart cookie. Put him, Kate, and the Swish! folks in a room together and they could likely take on Adobe/Macromedia/Microsoft...

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

...godness, I will have to sleep on my back tonight [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I don't know how I will ever get the image of a combined Xara/Swish/RealDRAW application out of my head... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Wouldn't that be something?

Risto

diri@videotron.ca