Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PlugIn

Sean or someone:

I am running WK2000, IExplorer version 5.00.2920.00 on one machine and the Xara Plugin (NPXaraC.dll) works just fine.

I am running WK2000, IExplore version 5.50.4007.2300 (sp2)on another PC and nothings happens. The .dll did install into the IE\plugins subdirectory. I've tried the install using Xara 2, Xara 3D version 4, and Xara X's ... all with the same result.

I there anything else I can try?

Can anyone confirm that IE 5.50.4007.2300 (sp2)is the culprit? Sure would be nice to get it to work.

Thanks in advance, John

Sean or someone:

I am running WK2000, IExplorer version 5.00.2920.00 on one machine and the Xara Plugin (NPXaraC.dll) works just fine.

I am running WK2000, IExplore version 5.50.4007.2300 (sp2)on another PC and nothings happens. The .dll did install into the IE\plugins subdirectory. I've tried the install using Xara 2, Xara 3D version 4, and Xara X's ... all with the same result.

I there anything else I can try?

Can anyone confirm that IE 5.50.4007.2300 (sp2)is the culprit? Sure would be nice to get it to work.

Thanks in advance, John

I had a post on this earlier. I can't get it to work on any version of Netscape. It works on my I.E. version. 5.50.4134.0600IS.

I think that is the latest version.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I don't think I am running sp 2 as that is only available by download. I had the latest version on Cd. So maybe that service pack 2 is the culprit. Maybe someone else can confirm.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

I have the same version of IE as Bruce, but AFAIK the plug-in has worked on all previous versions. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade John, but for now, check the existence of the registry key:<blockquote>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micros oft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.xar</blockquote>The value name "Location" should be associated with the correct path to the plug-in. Compare the other values with the working system.

For those of you having problems with Netscape, the plug-in also works with 4.7 on my system and has, to the best of my knowledge, worked with all previous recent versions. The plug-in should be listed when you call up Help > About Plug-ins.... If it isn't, it should be obvious where NS would be expecting to find it (NS uses a single plug-in directory, unlike IE) which will allow you to re-install the plug-in to that directory. Doing this should not affect the IE installation.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Thanks all.

Sean, I'll check out the registry and let you know.

By the way, its works fine on my NT40 system with Netscape 4.7.

Sean and John.
    Does your netscape view .xar files that were made with Xara X ? That seems to have been my problem. I could view files that were made in CorelXara 2 but not Xara X.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

AFAIK the plug-in has not been updated for X files and I doubt it will happen in the near future, if at all, because the work will not generate the sales to pay for itself. The rest of the world has adopted Flash as the standard and most people would prefer X to be more compatible with that.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Sean,

maybe it would make more sense to sell the plug-in to the XARA X users - $ 5 or 10 should make it profitable.

It's a sad story that Xara doesn't support the plug-in anymore - nothing can beat the crisp XARA files in a browser. In addition, wouldn't it be great if the members of this forum would be able to present their files here and in the gallery in the original or '.web format?

Too many details get lost when exporting a xar file to flash, some attributes even don't make during the transition...

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Sean, I checked the registry on the PC with the "newer" version of explorer and it was just fine. I am almost considering uninstall IExplorer and reinstalling an earlier version. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Jens, I agree with you that it is unfortunate that a Xara plugin for browsers has not been kept current ... it was one of the reasons I was initially attracted to Corel-Xara.