Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This just started yesterday When I click to open Xara1 I get the following message: "This version of Xara is currently not tegistered for XAR files. Do you want to register it?" I click the Yes button and then get the following message: Error from XaraX (at the top of the error box)Message: Invalid file name

Cause
    You have entered an incorrect name for a file. Often this is because the file name contains characters that are not permitted in file names.

What Can I Do?
    Reenter the filename without the offending character.

What does that mean? Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Dave,

Did you by chance try to start up an older version of xara? Or did you load webster on your computer? WEbster will try to redefine .xar and .web extensions to it, and the last version installed into of xara takes the definition. If all else fails, remove and reinstall xara... it is a 5 minute job, not like a microsoft product, which makes you rebuild the entire computer.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I have another version (XARA) loaded. Question can I delete the older version and then reinstall Xara X1?

You can have serveral versions of xara on your computer at the same time. I know I do. You just have to remember which one controls the .xar/.web definitions...

I would just try loading x1 overtop of itself. I think that fixed it for me...

Thank you John. I did that and everything is back to normal. Again many thanks. what a great forum with great people contributing to it.

you should join the fun. Better than any class you ever went to and you learn more to boot.