Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I thought it might be okay to post this here as a sort of 'heads up'.

Microsoft has published a fairly intimidating list (probably only partial) of programs which may experience 'issues' running under SP2. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2

I plan to wait at least a couple months before I even consider installing SP2, but meantime I'm wondering whether Xara have any plans to test SP2 in house. Maybe Charles or someone else from Xara could comment?
    Phil Thompson

I thought it might be okay to post this here as a sort of 'heads up'.

Microsoft has published a fairly intimidating list (probably only partial) of programs which may experience 'issues' running under SP2. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2

I plan to wait at least a couple months before I even consider installing SP2, but meantime I'm wondering whether Xara have any plans to test SP2 in house. Maybe Charles or someone else from Xara could comment?
    Phil Thompson

Yes, we have done a series of tests using the release version of XP Service Pack 2.

During those tests we found no issues relating to SP2.

Most of the problems that Microsoft are reporting are in fact due to the firewall which is enabled by default in SP2 and since Xara X1 does not require any form of incoming connection this is not an issue.

DrCamel

Thanks for the helpful reply.
    Phil Thompson

I've been running XP SP2 for 4-5 days now, including heavy sessions with XX1, all the Adobe CS apps and a lot of others. All works great, and I do think I detect a little bit more overall responsiveness, but I've not done any real tests. Especially InDesign CS - one of the most sluggish apps around - seems a lot snappier now, that I am sure of.

So I don't think that scary-looking big list of troubled apps should scare anyone off trying SP2. And you can always uninstall it.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

XP SP2 since Sunday here, no problems at all. In fact, my system is more stable than it was before. A dodgy driver for my TV tuner meant that opening a TV window was like playing Russian roulette - 1 in 10 times it crashed the PC completely. Using an Athlon64 supporting the new buffer overflow, the PC remains perfectly stable, the crash goes away and I reload happily.

Xara X¹, Office 2003 and Dreamweaver/Fireworks MX2004 working happily.

We tested SP2 and reported to this forum some time back that it looks like there are no problems with Xara X.

Daniel,

Not sure if you know this already, but the new buffer overflow stuff (Data Execution Prevention or DEP) is now not enabled by default in XP SP2 for normal applications, even on hardware that supports it (I think).

The (somewhat tedious) details are here.

If you want to give it ago (which may well break quite a few applications) you need to:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

2. Click the Advanced tab. Then, under Performance, click Settings.

3. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.

4. Click Turn off hardware DEP (software DEP enabled) to select the Opt-in policy.

5. Click Hardware and software DEP enabled for all programs except to select the OptOut policy.

6. Click Add and add the applications that you do not want to use DEP with.

I would be intrested to know if this affects Xara X!

Jonathan

For those wishing to temporarily disable Delivery of Windows XP Service Pack 2 Through Windows Update and Automatic Updates
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sp2aumng.mspx

Just thought someone might like to know.
    -
    Phillip
    --
    Phillip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not sure if you know this already, but the new buffer overflow stuff (Data Execution Prevention or DEP) is now not enabled by default in XP SP2 for normal applications, even on hardware that supports it (I think). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Right you are Jonathan. I didn't realise that there were two levels of DEP (Windows only or all applications): I had actually looked briefly at that window and misread it to be "DEP on or off", and thought I had it "on".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you want to give it ago (which may well break quite a few applications) you need to:
    I would be intrested to know if this affects Xara X! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I can report: Xara X runs just fine. Xara X¹ won't load.

I don't have a lot installed on my PC, I keep as little installed as possible so that I can have fewer chances of problems. Of the programs I do have installed, I've not come across any other problems with the higher level of DEP enabled. So far I have tried Dreamweaver MX2004 7.01, Fireworks MX2004, Mozilla 1.7, Firefox 0.93, Internet Explorer (obviously!), Office Outlook/Word/Excel 2003 SP1, Mozilla Thunderbird 0.73, Norton AV 2003, Iomega Rev Automatic Backup Pro, Trillian Pro 2.01, and CuteFTP Pro 3.3. I don't have much more to check - so XaraX¹ is the only app I can't load I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxsp2.png 
Views:	395 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	10783