Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: navbar help

Default navbar help

Hi, newbie here and whilst this mat seem like a captain obvious, I just can't get it at the moment and need help.

I have a navbar taken from the gallery based on the trader horizontal. I am wanting to chnage this to either music or orbit 2 but cannot get the color for to be as they are depicted in the trader?

I have attached the file so you can see what I am trying to do? Can anyone here please change this for me and tell me what you did. going out of my mind on something so simple.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: navbar help

The easiest one is probably the Orbit theme.

First of all when you import the navbar, make sure you select Yes when it asks you if you want to match colors. This gets you part of the way there. To get the rest of the way there follow these steps.

In the Navbar properties dialog, in the lower left hand corner there is a button called 'Ungroup to edit graphics' Press this button.
    Then open the Page and Layer gallery and select the S for solo mode on the Mouse Over layer
    Choose one of your buttons and Press Ctrl+U to ungroup the button.
    Choose the background shape by clicking towards the bottom of the button and apply the green color to it by clicking on it in the bottom left hand corner of your screen.
    Click on the highlight shape by clicking towards the top of the button and apply the white color to it by clicking on it in the bottom left hand corner of your screen.
    Drag select around all portions of your button and click Ctrl+G to group them again.
    Then open the Page and Layer gallery and select the S for solo mode on the Mouse Off layer
    Drag select around all portions of your button and click Ctrl+G to group them again.
    Then open the Page and Layer gallery and select the S to turn off solo mode on the Mouse Off layer.
    Drag select around all portions of your button and click Alt+Ctrl+G to soft group them again.
    Select and press create navbar and you have your new navbar with your updated colors.

I hope that helps or at least gets you on the right track.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Eric,

Very much appreciate your reply to this for me. i have tried your suggestion and at one point I got it and then I didn't as you can see from the attached file? i seem to be getting it about face! doh.

John
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 12 July 2010 at 04:10 AM.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I'm going through an airport right now and can't really look at your file (though I will later). If you are getting it about face as you say, you are probably working on the wrong layer, or accidently grouping both the MouseOff and MouseOver layers together. Try going back through the instructions slowly from the beginning.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Thanks Eric,

I have been through it again (and again..) and for the life of me I end up with the same result as previously posted.. beginning to feel rather inept at the moment.

Seems to be such a convoluted way top change simple colours on an item. would be nice if Xara Web had a way to view all the layers and associated colours on a navbar or similar item for more direct and faster access.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

- John

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedropbear View Post
    I have a navbar taken from the gallery based on the trader horizontal. I am wanting to chnage this to either music or orbit 2 but cannot get the color for to be as they are depicted in the trader?
    Perhaps this will help?
    Open the color editor (Ctrl+E) and select the theme colours.
    I have a screen shot of the two button states from the Music theme and simply use the colour picker.
    Make sure your Trader bar is selected as you change the two theme colours with the picker.

DOWNLOAD MOVIE 883KB

Many thanks to all your help.

after many more attempts i have cracked it.. that is, worked it out. it would seem that when i was on the mouse over layer and hitting ctrl-u to ungroup and then continuing on to apply the colours i had not noticing that it was defaulting off the mouse over layer due to ctrl-u being pressed. doh!

my only question now is with the colour. the orbit navbar seems to be a bit lighter in colour and were hoping to get the deeper colour used on the trader. Is this a shading thing? Trader appears to be shaded dark to light from bottom to top whereas Orbit appears to have a slight shading from dark to light centre to out (top and bottom).

- john

Did you review the movie?
    There's no need to do any ungrouping. YOu can do all the colour adjustment as shown.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Did you review the movie?
    There's no need to do any ungrouping. YOu can do all the colour adjustment as shown.
    I did quickly view it but at the time had already solved what was going on for me. Will now take a closer look. Thanks again. will let you know how I go.