Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hi all and help please

Hi
    Just trying web designer 6, i havent much experiences with designing web sites before this software. My question is, is it possible i can create a website like this http://www.cheekybean.co.uk/ with this software?

If it is possible could anyone possibly talk me through roughly what i would do to a/ make the top of the site go all the way from left to right (same bottom) and b/ have the background image

Any other tips on how to create this type of site would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Default Re: Hi all and help please

The top and bottom black lines are a part of the background image. Creation of site like this is absolutely straightforward in the WD6.
    To apply a background image, select it in the Bitmap Gallery and click the "Background" button (on the top of the gallery).
    John.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I found the gallery and bitmap part, but not sure how to make that the background image, when i clicked on an image it just popped up as a small square to the right of the website :-)

Sorry, i have ALOT to learn

I think I just have explained this:
    Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    select it in the Bitmap Gallery and click the "Background" button (on the top of the gallery).
    John.

yup i didnt read it right, however now i have tried pressing the background button after clicking on an image and it didnt do anything :-(

ahh it worked if i start a design from "new" but not on an existing template

how do i use a background that isnt listed, and the background in the website i posted isnt "tiled" which it seems to be doing

sorry, i really have alot to learn

Hi Wizard,

Possibly you should go through the different tutorials on this site, there are a ton of them and will answer a good many of the questions you are asking here. Also, the help file is extremely useful in the Xara programs. If you search them you will also find many of these answers.

Also a quick search on this forum will help with the tiling issue.....

Hope that helps a little.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    how do i use a background that isnt listed, and the background in the website i posted isnt "tiled" which it seems to be doing

sorry, i really have alot to learn
    If you're using a non tiled background that isn't as big as the webpage, what do you expect to happen.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Is this any help ?

First, set-up your page to the largest sized monitor you decide to support. In this case I have gone for 2048 x 1536

Place a guideline at the centre (1024) and at the left edge of your page 1024 less half the width of your page > 1024-(780/2)=634

Construct your background as you would like it to appear on a 2048 x 1536 monitor.

Select all objects, right click on them and select “create bitmap copy”

Create a new blank page and move this bitmap to it (page 2).

Slice off everything on the left hand side up to the 634 pixel guideline. This can be achieved by placing a rectangle over the area, selecting both objects and pressing CTRL+4

Reconstruct the bitmap with the smaller slice on the right and the larger on the left (page 3).

Set “View Quality” to 3 (Full Color), select both objects and create “bitmap copy”

This bitmap can now be copied into your 780 width page, deleted and then set as a background via the bitmap gallery.

N.B. This works in V5 but only works in V6 after a window re-size. Possible bug ?
    Attached Files Attached Files