Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Interactive Maps

I'm still in the process of copying the map to all the layers - just doesn't seem right but still...if it's going to work. Interim tests are not encouraging though since a few (5) of the country rollovers are flashing when rolled over.

Taking advantage of the giveawayoftheday I downloaded SWF Quicker to check out my previous attempt which didn't respond to any clicks. Interestingly, all the click hotspots opened in SWF Quicker at 0,0 - i.e. in the top left corner (see attachment) which would mean, of course, that the links would be impossible to click on. Of course it could be that SWF Quicker is reading the file incorrectly but everything else seems to be solid it's interesting that the only thing I'm having problems with is the thing that wrong in SWF Quicker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swfquicker.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	63584  
    IP

I wouldn't take a lot of notice of the SWF Quicker import. There are quiet a few swf decompilers out there and I've never seen one that works 100% correctly on a decent sized swf. Good free program for messing about with simple swf's and a few fun effects of it's own as well.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I'm still in the process of copying the map to all the layers - just doesn't seem right but still...if it's going to work. Interim tests are not encouraging though since a few (5) of the country rollovers are flashing when rolled over.
    I can't understand this if your using my xar as all the rollover effects were in place. You only need paste the non rollover map on each of the clicked pages. This map has no OnClick or RollOver buttons so you must be adding the wrong map to get these flashinf effects.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

You're right Egg, it would be more expedient for me to use your file and I will probably do just that. I'm extremely grateful for your continued help. However, I want to get a handle on all the ins and outs of this process for myself as I think I'll want to use this technique in later projects and, you might not be around the help then
    IP

I'm might actually be making some progress - I'll post another SWF in a minute or two.

OK...

You'll like this. All rollovers working without flashing and the SWF exports without any errors. I've added overlays for Zones I-VI and Italy, which work except for a couple where one needs to first rolls over another area. If anyone has got any ideas about how to address this...there must be something I'm missing but whatever it is it's subtle.

The xar file is now pretty big at nearly 4MB so I've not included it in this posting.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sadler; 15 July 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: I had a brainwave.
    IP

Hi Sadler, how's the brainwave going? I find that Sectors 1 & 2 & Italy need clicking several times to show the larger map.
    Egg

IP

Hi Egg,

My brain is just about fried right now. As you've noticed there are still a couple of issues with the map and I've no idea about how to address them.

If you enter Italy from Switzerland, Austria or Yugoslavia, clicking is unsuccessful but if you enter from France or the sea then it shows the overlay.

If you enter Zone I from anywhere but the French Zone then click through fails although if you happen to be over Zone I after a frame change (e.g. from another overlay) then clicking works.

It's a similar situation for Zone 2 except that the working entry visa is from the British or Soviet Zones.

I'd love to be able to get this sorted out but...

You'll see I've removed the close button from the overlays and resorted to screen wide button (i.e. click anywhere outside the overlay) to close it. This works very well and has the added benefit of giving another working entry to the Zones.
    IP

And you've completed the NE corner which now looks fine.

You'll see I've removed the close button from the overlays and resorted to screen wide button (i.e. click anywhere outside the overlay) to close it. This works very well and has the added benefit of giving another working entry to the Zones.
    Are you certain these large close buttons aren't interfering with the OnClick actions?

How does it give you another working entry to the zones?
    Egg

IP

I also added Turkey and Spain

Are you certain these large close buttons aren't interfering with the OnClick actions?
    Well, these large buttons are on the overlay frame which are later in the frame sequence and if they are interfering with the hotspots on other frames then they aren't interfering all the time. So, while not 100% certain, I'm quite confident that this isn't the issue.

How does it give you another working entry to the zones?
    If you have an overlay open and you click over, say, Zone I, then click again, Zone I's overlay appears. If you enter from the French Zone it's overlay appears. That's two ways in as I see it. All other routes result in a non-click.
    IP

I've posted a tutorial video on the steps I took to create the map in this thread. It's my very first tutorial video ever so apologies for my poor mic technique.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SadlerJo...C83C4D41CD0041

Or watch it embedded here:

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 July 2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Embedding YouTube videos.
    IP