Default Re: Possible bug in XX5 - bevels on groups error message

1. Open Xtreme Pro 5. - Done
    2. Draw two ellipses. - Done
    3. Group the ellipses. - Done
    4. Save file. - Done
    5. Select group with the Selection tool. - Done
    6. Click on the Bevel tool. - Done
    7. Drag the red bevel handles. - Done
    8. The error message appears. - Did not happen.

When I tried to ungroup I got the usual message about removing the bevel, but that was it.

My machine isn't even REMOTELY as powerful as the people having this issue and it uses an on-board video card stealing RAM.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    I followed your suggestions and here's what happened:

<snip>

By the way, by a "fresh run" do you mean I need to reinstall Xara Xtreme, or do you mean just starting up Xara for the first time in the day?

Also, in case it matters, I also have Xara Xtreme Pro 4 and Xara X1 installed.

I've attached the file.

Hope this helps!
    The "fresh run" just means to quit it and run it again. Basically so the previous things you have done can't be affecting things.

Could you attach a file from before you apply the bevel (that does still give the error for you)?

Thanks,
    Gerry

Gerry, here's a sample file. I saved it before trying to apply a bevel. Then when I applied a bevel, I got the warning message. I closed the file without saving, so the bevel isn't applied in this file.

I hope I understood your request correctly. Also, thanks for explaining what a "fresh run" is.

Thanks a lot for trying to solve this issue. I had also submitted it to Xara Support and they have also tried to duplicate the problem. You've all been very helpful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please note this:

After you get the error message, if you group (the group) again you don't get the error and you can continue to adjust the bevel (error free)

Sledger - sure enough, that works! How did you manage to figure that out?

EDIT: It works, with a couple of caveats... I did find out that you can't interactively change the light angle on the bevel unless you select the bevel object in the Object Gallery.

Also, if you open up the group and select the Bevel Group object directly again, you still get the warning message.

See the attached screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel Hierarchy.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	62428  
    Last edited by PixelDust; 17 June 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added info and screenshot.

Sledger - sure enough, that works! How did you manage to figure that out?
    My superior intellect of course

hehe - actually, one of the neat things with Xtreme is that grouping even a single object can often allow a second instance of an effect where normally only one is possible.
    Transparency for example, apply a left to right linear trans' to a single object, group that object (you are actually grouping the object AND the effect), then you can apply another linear trans' in another direction.
    This can be very useful

EDIT: It works, with a couple of caveats... I did find out that you can't interactively change the light angle on the bevel unless you select the bevel object in the Object Gallery.
    No, I am able to change the light angle, elevation and contrast without doing this.
    I don't even have the OG open by default.

OK, I figured out what was wrong. I can't move the light angle handle unless I click off of the shape, and then click back on it.

If I start trying to adjust the handle right after grouping, it won't move.

Sorry for the confusion...

Good news - I just installed the update, and the bevels on groups problem seems to be fixed! No more error message!

Thanks, Xara team!

Given that it is 5 months since Version 5 of Xtreme was launched on an unsuspecting public and there is still no fix for the bug which launches a sticky warning message that refuses to go away if one tries to bevel a group.
    The fact that this was not a bug in Version 4 suggests that it should be relatively easy to fix in Version 5.
    People who have shelled out cash and who don't have Version 4 to fall back on or who don't visit TG and are therefore unaware of the workaround, are probably mightily peeved at this ongoing situation. Perhaps a free downgrade to the non-buggy version 4 is in order for these people? This would be good PR for those who perceive this lack of a solution as uncaring.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.